This classic restaurant located in Toolo has been the living room of Finnish artists for well over 80 years. The colourful circle of customers has naturally included many others as well – from the inhabitants of the neighbouring blocks to diplomats, from journalists to corporate heads.
The story of Elite begins all the way back in 1932. In 1938, the restaurant (at the time led by the legendary Ernst Mattas) moved to its present location, the new Reitz building where a street-level apartment was designed for the use of the restaurant. The work of Ernst Mattas was continued by his son Willy Mattas and Willy’s wife Mrs. Margaretha Mattas – all the way up until 1985 when new owners took over.